Friday, August 13, 2010

ozarkland!

7/22 Warrenton to Jefferson City, MO
(as told to you by mrs. a-go-go)

back in California, we liked to take mini day trips out to the Devil's Punchbowl and then wander the craziness that is Charlie Brown's. so when we began to see sign after sign after sign advertising Ozarkland, we figured it would be worth a stop.hmmmm. it was and it wasn't while Ozarkland did indeed reek of a kitschy tourist attraction, it was less kitsch more uh...? row after row of personalized made-in-china shot glasses, pocket knives & keychains made for a sorry Hollywood type of store. there was the usual fudge and candy counter which is always a good thing but the many rows of porcelain dolls (CREEPY!) and neon colored flying monkeys just made me sadder than sad. to be fair, though, Charlie Brown's carries much of the same ilk but manages to rise above (if only a smatter) due to old time sodas, candies and toys.Ozarkland did however carry crazy cute flocked plastic donkeys with wee plastic barrels upon their backs for yer salt & pepper needs and at $3 a pop one would have been a fabulous investment in kitsch but i just couldn't bring myself to do it. and now it mocks me. darn me and my donkey like.so, if yer driving down highways 70 or 54 near kingdom city drop in for a looksie. i think there is more than one location so don't fret if yer not going down those highways, just keep a lookout for the sign and prepare yourself for a kingdom of not-so-kitschy kitsch.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh!!! I should have read this post before the post on the Missouri State Capitol building. The sweet dreams I was going to have over the dreamy architecture are going to be replaced with nightmares about the super scary doll. Who makes this stuff? More importantly why would you buy a doll like that for your daughter? Actually, I could have used a doll like that for Shelby Schwartz's birthday. Man, did that girl torture me in the 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so upset by the creepy doll I forgot... Be safe.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails